- EQT VI sells Atos Medical, the global medical technology leader in laryngectomy care, to PAI Europe VI
- Atos Medical manufactures and sells a range of products that help patients who have undergone total laryngectomy to restore their ability to speak and increase their quality of life
- Under the ownership of EQT VI, Atos Medical has almost doubled its size, driven by significant sales force investments, new innovative product introductions and a new direct-to-consumer sales model
EQT VI has signed a definitive agreement to sell Atos Medical AB (“Atos Medical” or “the Company”) to PAI Europe VI (“PAI”), a European private equity firm.
EQT VI acquired Atos Medical in September 2011 and has since the acquisition supported management with an active and dedicated growth strategy, which has almost doubled the size of the Company and enabled more laryngectomized patients around the world to access and use Atos Medical’s products. This has been accomplished through:
- Significant investments into a global sales force, in particular in the US, Japan, UK and Southern Europe. Today, Atos Medical has the largest dedicated ear, nose and throat (“ENT”) sales force in the world
- 11 synergistic forward integrations in new countries, as well as investments into an innovative direct-to-consumer model, enabling patients to have direct access to Atos Medical representatives
- Continued investments in R&D and product innovation to address patient’s unmet needs
- Strengthening of the management team and organization, supported by a strong industrial board of directors
Atos Medical is today the undisputed leader in laryngectomy care. The Company has delivered strong profitable growth and has shown an excellent financial track record in recent years. In 2015, revenues grew with approximately 30% to SEK 1 billion.
Åsa Riisberg, Partner and Head of Healthcare at EQT Partners, Investment Advisor to EQT VI, commented: “Atos Medical has developed into a true global market leader, which we are immensely proud of. With a focused growth strategy, Atos Medical has continued to penetrate the white space in the laryngectomy care market, improving the quality of life of its patients. It has been a privilege to support the Atos Medical management team led by Claus Bjerre, who, together with his team, has done an outstanding job with the business. We believe the Company is well prepared for further growth under new ownership”.
Claus Bjerre, CEO of Atos Medical, added: “With its industrial approach and global network, EQT has supported us in implementing a focused, expansive value creation strategy and in building a solid foundation for the company’s further growth. We look forward to future success together with PAI, and to the continued development of the company.”
The agreement is conditional on customary anti-trust clearance and expected to close in August 2016. The parties have agreed not to disclose the transaction value.
EQT VI and management were advised by J.P. Morgan, Kirkland & Ellis, Accura and Deloitte Transaction Services.
Åsa Riisberg, Partner at EQT Partners, Investment Advisor to EQT, +46 8 506 55 342
Kerstin Danasten, EQT Press Officer, +46 8 506 553 34
EQT is a leading global private equity group with approximately EUR 29 billion in raised capital. EQT has portfolio companies in Europe, Asia and the US with total sales of more than EUR 17 billion and 140,000 employees. EQT works with portfolio companies to achieve sustainable growth, operational excellence and market leadership.
For further information: www.eqt.se.
About Atos Medical
Atos Medical is a medical device company with a global market and technology leading position in the segment for voice and pulmonary rehabilitation of patients who have undergone laryngectomy (surgical removal of the voice box). Atos has around 450 employees and is based in Malmö, Sweden.
For further information: www.atosmedical.com
PAI is a leading European private equity firm with offices in Paris, London, Luxembourg, Madrid, Milan, Munich, New York and Stockholm. PAI manages over €8 billion of dedicated buyout funds. Since 1994, PAI has completed 59 LBO transactions in 11 countries, representing c. €41 billion in transaction value. PAI is characterized by its industrial approach to ownership combined with its sector-based organization. PAI provides portfolio companies with the financial and strategic support required to pursue their development and enhance strategic value creation.
For further information: www.paipartners.com