Apleona is a leading European facility management services provider and no. 1 in the DACH region with a focus on integrated facility management services based on a technical edge
Apleona provides technical facility management services, complemented by infrastructural and commercial facility management as part of an integrated offering.
With more than 20,000 employees, Apleona is active in over 30 countries focusing on Europe with leading positions particularly in DACH, UK and Italy.
The broad customer portfolio includes commercial and industrial clients, financial institutions, as well as investment companies and the public sector.
EQT acquired Apleona in 2016 during a carve-out process from its prior parent Bilfinger SE. Formerly it was part of the Bilfinger SE conglomerate, doing business under the segment name Bilfinger Building & Facility.
Following the carve-out, Apleona has since disposed several non-core subsidiaries, including the turnkey construction business in Germany and the real estate advisory business GVA in the UK.
Key events since EQT investment
- 2016 - Establishment of Apleona as a standalone entity after carve-out from Bilfinger - formerly Bilfinger Building & Facility
- 2017 - Disposal of several non-core assets incl. large project-focused turnkey construction business, parking garage operations and non-food catering services
- 2018 - Sale of UK real estate advisory business GVA in order to derisk UK exposure pre Brexit, aiding and accelerating the transition into an integrated pure-play FM provider
- 2018 - Agreement to sell non-core Italian mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) business reached, removing last remaining non-core activities
- 2018 - IBM Watson cooperation initiated to accelerate digitization with project aimed at developing concrete digital applications supported by IBM experts
- 2019 - Continued successful transformation into leading integrated pure-play provider and successful win and extension of key accounts (e.g. Deutsche Bank and AB InBev)
- 2019 - Demonstrated strong progress on digitalization: Win of Handelsblatt Diamond Star Award for Apleona Digital Ecosystem and Collaboration in digitalization project with IBM WatsonLab
- 2020 - Acquisition of minority stake in Recogizer, a digitally enabled company offering an AI-powered steering solution for a buildings’ heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, aiding Apleona in its vital role of helping its clients manage their impact on the environment
- 2020 - Acquisition of Wölpper, a building services provider complementing Apleona’s coverage of southern Germany and initiating Apleona’s add-on M&A focus following successful transformation
- 2021 - Exit of Apleona to funds managed by PAI Partners who plan to continue the organic and in-organic expansion of Apleona’s facility management services business