Tampnet is the only independent supplier of high capacity and low latency communication to offshore oil & gas installations in the North Sea. The company operates the world's largest offshore fiber infrastructure network, serving 400+ oil and gas platforms, units & exploration rigs.
In total, Tampnet operates ~2,600km of redundant subsea fibre network infrastructure, of which ~1,750km is owned subsea fibre and ~850km is leased subsea fibre. In addition, Tampnet owns ~150 radio links and ~50 active 4G/LTE base stations. The company serves both the Norwegian and UK parts of the North Sea and its unique infrastructure provides redundancy to its customers and links the North Sea basin to UK and Norway. Network monitoring, installation and maintenance are largely performed by third party suppliers.
Tampnet was established in 2001 by Statoil and is headquartered in Stavanger, Norway.
Key events during EQT's ownership
- Established experienced Board of Directors through the appointment of Per Morten Torvildsen, Chairman (ex CEO Ventelo, Board Member in Broadnet and InFiber), Thor Håkstad (ex EVP Norsk Hydro, Vice Chairman of Statnett and Sulzer), Odd Christopher Hansen (Chairman BTX Group and Cimbria, former McKinsey Partner) and Kristian Teär (VP EMEA Logitech,Chairman NOTE, ex-COO Blackberry and various executive positions Ericsson)
- Recruited experienced CFO and added additional competence within the Technical and Sales divisions
- Opened new offices in Aberdeen, Houston and Broussard
- New fibre infrastructure deployed in the North Sea during 2014 and 2015 and made significant progress in contract negotiations regarding new fields coming online in the North Sea
- Launched Transit business segment focusing on international data traffic
- Acquisition of CNSFTC from BP in the UK completed in 2014
- Expansion in Gulf of Mexico started in 2014 with the acquisition of AirTap and continued in 2016 with the acquisition of Broadpoint
- Inititated discussions regarding other international greenfield operations and acquisition opportunities