EQT Infrastructure acquired Koole Tanktransport and NOVA Terminals (previously called Argos Terminals) in 2011, and merged them into Koole Terminals in 2014.
Koole Terminals is a leading independent liquid bulk storage company in North-West Europe headquartered in Zaandam, the Netherlands. The Company operates eight tank storage terminals and owns a fleet of twelve barges and three coasters. Koole Terminals has a total storage capacity of over 2,000,000 cubic meters handling a wide range of liquid bulk products including vegetable oils, mineral oil products, waxes, (oleo-) chemicals, and other liquid products which are being stored and handled in Rotterdam, Zaandam, Amsterdam, Nijmegen, United Kingdom and Poland.
In 2015 EQT Infrastructure sold Koole Terminals to institutional investors advised by JPM Asset Mgmt - Global Real Assets, together with Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (“OTPP”).
Key events during EQT's ownership
- Tripled the storage capacity to more than 2.0 million cubic meter(1) as a result of organic and inorganic expansion
- De-risked the business through product diversification, contracted business with a better maturity profile and a broader / structurally integrated customer base
- Improved the technical facilities and achieved a margin uplift due to integration of acquisitions and the fixed cost business
- Transformed a Dutch family-run company to an institutionalized and professionalized cooperation with clear corporate governance
- As a result, EBITDA grew by 50% since 2010
(1) Capacity in 2010 based on Koole Tanktransport that was acquired in February 2011.