BSN medical is a leading global medical device company that develops, manufactures and markets wound care, compression therapy and non-invasive orthopaedic products mainly to hospitals, pharmacies and sanitary shops.
BSN medical has production facilities in Germany, France, Colombia, Brazil, India, Mexico, Pakistan, South Africa and New Zealand, operating globally through its own sales & distribution network, joint ventures and distribution agents.
The Wound Care & Vascular segment includes the Wound Care business which comprises both Acute and Advanced Wound Care products as well as the Compression Therapy business which focuses on ready-to-wear and custom-made compression garments, covering phlebology and lymphology indications.
In Orthopaedics, BSN offers a comprehensive range of products for fracture management, physiotherapy and orthopedic soft goods. BSN owns and manufactures several established brands such as Leukoplast®, Leukomed®, Gypsona®, Orthoglass®, JOBST®, Radiante®, Delta-cast®, Actimove® and Tricodur®.
BSN was established as a joint venture between Beiersdorf AG and Smith & Nephew plc in 2001.
Key events since EQT investment
- Industrial Advisory Board in place: Erich Reinhardt acts as Chairman of the Advisory Board, and Mats Fischier, Dr. Thomas Werner, Pierre Guyot, and Simone Blank are appointed as members of the Advisory Board
- Add-on acquisitions of leading Brazilian wound care company Neve Group as well as leading German advanced wound care company Sorbion. Moreover, several smaller add-ons in strategically relevant areas and geographies
- Switch from indirect to direct distribution in multiple countries including Australia & New Zealand, Switzerland, Thailand and Chile
- Successful execution of management succession. Guido Oelkers (former CEO, Gambro) commenced as new CEO per January 2014
- Execution of two successful repricings of BSN senior term loans and a refinancing of the initial capital structure leading to significant interest cost savings